It’s August – where has the time gone? It’s CSA 2022 week 16 already. Our farmers at Beaverland Farms have filled our box with more good stuff this week, including the first two bell peppers. We have more tomatoes, and a lush bunch of chard, as well as multicolor beets.
This week’s box brings us:
- cherry tomatoes
- green bell peppers
- rainbow chard
- a slender little eggplant
- a variety of beets
As usual, I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. Looks like CSA 2022 week 16 will be heavy on salads, which is perfect for our hot and humid weather. I’ve even found some ‘noodle’ dishes where the cucumbers ARE the noodles! Here are some of my ideas – including a chocolate cake enriched with shredded beets! Don’t knock it, that’s one good cake.
- plain and simple Greek salad (with cold roasted beets!)
- Horiatiki salad
- shaved fennel salad from Simply Recipes
- beet salad with feta, cucumbers, & dill from Bowl of Delicious
- Grandma’s cucumber & tomato salad
- a tiny batch of ratatouille
- caprese salad with tomato, fresh mozzarella, and cucumbers
- chilled lemon-dill cucumber noodles from TheKitchn
- sesame cucumber noodles from Kirby’s Cravings
- shredded beet & orange salad
- beet chocolate cake from Simple Bites
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.