After a one-week hiatus to refresh the plant beds, this is CSA 2022 week 15, and our farmers at Beaverland Farms have resumed weekly distributions. This means that we’ll have 14 more weeks of delicious boxes to look forward to. They are planting fall crops now, and harvesting summer veg weekly.
At last, we have tomatoes! Every year, I look forward to the amazing, sweet, tart, and tangy taste of local tomatoes: what I call Real Tomatoes. More than any other, it’s these fresh tomatoes that make the taste of summer to me. At our house, there’s no such thing as too many tomatoes, and we’ll be eating them in so many ways.
This week’s box brings us:
- cherry tomatoes
- shishito peppers
- green beans
- and a little box of peaches!
As usual, I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. CSA 2022 week 15 will make for good eating! Here are some of my ideas:
- cherry tomato, corn, & basil salad
- tomato zucchini frittata from Dishin & Dishes
- garlic roasted cherry tomatoes
- carrot and kohlrabi slaw with miso dressing from The Mom 100
- kohlrabi fritters with lemon & dill
- maple-glazed carrots
- carrot and chickpea salad from Serious Eats
- chilled green bean and tomato salad
- blistered shishito peppers
- easy peach tart
- peach smoothie (what a great breakfast!)
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.