Spring, hereabouts, is not very spring-like so far, or perhaps it’s just going to be a late spring. The forsythia are blooming, and the daffodils are just up – but it’s been cool so far, and fairly wet. CSA week 2 2020 has brought us cool-weather produce.
Our farmers at Dancing Meadows Homestead in Cottrellville, MI supply beautiful stuff for us each week. This week, we have mostly greens, which love the cool weather. Spring greens are so fresh tasting!
Our share for CSA week 2 includes:
- mixed lettuce (2 quarts/bowls)
- arugula (2 quarts/bowls)
- green onions
There are more salads are in our future, which makes us very happy. Arugula is fabulous on sandwiches, have you tried it? We love the stuff. Here’s what else I’m thinking about for this week’s produce:
- rhubarb compote – totally excellent over vanilla or lemon ice cream, or pound cake
- vanilla rhubarb butter when rhubarb is abundant
- pasta salad with feta, cucumbers, and mint
- lemony arugula salad with couscous, cucumbers, and feta from Inspired Taste
- beef with ginger and green onions from The Woks of Life
- ginger scallion oil aka “magic sauce” from Francis Lam
- a set of mint ice cubes to use in iced tea and lemonade
And who could resist this little guy? Our farmers shared this photo of an opossum trotting along, headed for some sunshine. Me, I think opossums are terminally cute. They eat insects, worms, slugs and snails – you might call them a gardener’s friend. When they’re frightened they roll over and play dead. When trapped and scared, they’ll open their mouths: “See? I have teeth. Be afraid!”