It’s CSA 2022 week 12 – omg, July already! Our farmers at Beaverland Farms have given us a fantastic box with a surprise: a little punnet of black raspberries. I predict those will be gone within 2 days. What a treat!
No more garlic scapes this week; it’s only a short season. I’ll be making my last batch of garlic scape pesto, and then will simply chop the rest of the scapes to freeze. There’s no need to blanch the scapes: just chop and pack in an airtight container. I’ve found that I can add the frozen scapes right into my skillet.
This week’s box contains wonderful stuff:
- mixed lettuces (so needed for summer salads)
- a dozen baby golden beets
- zucchini, yellow summer squash
- green onions
As usual, I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. Here are some of my ideas for this CSA 2022 week 12 box:
- lavender lemonade
- a big Greek salad, with some of the beets
- beet salad with feta & walnuts
- carrot fennel soup, spiked with orange juice
- celery & fennel salad with Prosciutto
- honey-glazed carrots with fresh mint
- baked zucchini rounds with crispy Parmesan
- summer squash boats, stuffed with lamb and onions, baked
- potato, tomato, & squash tian
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.