Springtime in Michigan always has unpredictable weather. April was rainy and cool, while mid-May has seen the thermometer reach 90 degrees for a few days. A big thunderstorm comes through, and we’ll be back to 60s and low 70s. It’s CSA 2022 week 5. The farmers at Beaverland Farms are harvesting newly grown greens this week: 3 big bags of greens! We’ll have plenty of material for big cool salads just in time for the hot weather forecast for the weekend.
The CSA 2022 week 5 box holds:
- mixed lettuces
- salad turnips (hakurei)
The little salad turnips are new to us this year, and we quite like them! They are very like radishes, but milder when eaten raw. We’re planning to try some sautéed this coming week. Besides splendid salads, produce from CSA 2022 week 5 might be used in some interesting ways:
- frittata, with spinach, dill, & feta (sort of like a spanakopita, but without the filo)
- arugula and couscous salad with feta
- spinach artichoke pizza
- green smoothies
- tartine with butter, thin-sliced radishes, & salt
- cucumber & radish relish for grilled fish or chicken
- pickled carrots & radishes
- pan-seared turnips with ginger/miso glaze
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.