Week 19: it’s almost the end of the 20 week CSA season. This week’s box contains kale, collard greens, sweet potatoes, lots of jalapeño peppers, mixed salad greens, mustard greens for cooking, butternut squash, potatoes, and a lovely bunch of mint. There have already been frosts, so I don’t expect to see more peppers, though the hardy greens ought to be a bit sweeter.
It looks like those might be the vividly colored Peruvian potatoes – no purple potato soup for me, thanks. I’m thinking of other possibilities:
- kale and potato soup with sausage
- or maybe a version with tomatoes
- roasted sweet potatoes and beets with cumin and preserved lemon
- pasta with garlic, arugula, and Parmesan
- collard greens with ham hocks
- curried butternut squash bisque
- minted simple syrup for cocktails this winter
I’ll pick up the last two boxes next week: one for the ordinary CSA distribution, and a larger one that is the extra “Keepers for Storage” box, so look for a double post.