It’s CSA week 16! It’s so clear that we are right at the end of summer. There are tons of tomatoes at the market today (it’s hot enough here this weekend that I’m very glad I preserved tomatoes last week, when it was cooler!) While there’s still fresh corn, and peppers and beans, there are also huge piles of squash, and tables of fresh apples.
Our box shows it’s a transition season set of produce. We have:
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 6 ears corn
- bunch flat-leaf parsley
- big bunch of my favorite radishes
- 3 yellow bell peppers
- a mess of green beans
- one large zucchini
- one head broccoli
- red leaf lettuce
If I look at the longer-range weather forecast, I’m seeing a warm week ahead, and then distinctly cooler weather for the rest of the month. The tomatoes will still hold on until first frost – maybe in October? – but this is the last week, I think, of nice cool salads for dinner.
Some of the end-of-summer possibilities I see with this week’s produce:
- broccoli with garlic & oyster sauce
- zucchini bread (it’s definitely time!)
- cucumber and radish sandwiches at tea time
- green beans with pesto (maybe put some new potatoes in with those!)
- spicy korean-sauced corn & green bean skillet
- bell peppers with hummus (now that’s a family favorite)
- spaghetti squash with bacon & parmesan
What are the foods of summer for you? What would you want to hang on to, right up until the pumpkins come in?