The first day of September also marks CSA week 14. It’s strange to think that in only a few weeks we’ll have to say goodbye to the amazing summer produce. But not yet!
We’re not quite at the peak of tomato season; I’m guessing that’ll be next week. Today, this week’s box holds:
- 1 huge honeydew melon
- a normal cantaloupe
- 1 head celery
- 3 big Beefsteak-style tomatoes
- 4 cute little red peppers
- 8 ears fresh corn
- a big bunch kale
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 medium zucchini
The weather’s been hot and humid, so melons are a natural for those who love them (here, that’s just some of us.) I know there’s cooler weather on the way, though. I’m planning a pot of ratatouille this weekend – that will use up the yellow and green squash.
I have more ideas inspired by this week’s box of produce:
- corn salad with scallions and basil
- appetizer: torn olives with celery and Parmesan
- celery (and carrots!) with homemade hummus
- for the cooler weather: sausage kale and potato soup
- fresh tomato tart
What are you cooking this week? Please feel free to comment.