After a solid week of cold rain, we’re beginning to see the sun, and oh, doesn’t the sunshine feel good on my face! I imagine that’s a bit of what the plants experience, as they stretch toward the light and warmth. This week’s box – CSA 2023 week 2 – brings field-grown produce: the season’s first rhubarb! My family loves rhubarb; it’s a vegetable that acts like a fruit.
This is our second year as members of the CSA from Beaverland Farms in Detroit, MI. I note that our rhubarb arrives one week earlier than it did last year – does this maybe mean that we’ll get rhubarb next week too? I guess we’ll find out.
This week’s box contains:
- a dozen little potatoes
- bok choy
- a fine bunch of radishes
- green onions
- mixed salad greens
- sunflower shoots
While I wash and package the veggies, I think about how I might use them. We always want to use up a box before the next one arrives! I look at the weather forecast to help plan. I can see mild weather ahead, and more days with sun than rain. I’m thinking that bag of salad greens will come in handy, and I ought to plan on a couple of hearty salads for the warmest days.
So, then: possible menu items in CSA 2023 week 2 include:
- rhubarb crumble this is a family favorite – and it’s also good for breakfast with some yogurt
- creamed spinach
- spinach rice with feta and dill
- fresh pea soup with spinach
- ginger carrot soup that didn’t happen last week, still looks good!
- yakisoba with bok choy
- bok choy with garlic & oyster sauce
- roasted potatoes with rosemary
- classic boxty (Irish potato cakes)