Our weather has been warm and cool and wet and dry; this is absolutely what we expect in a SE Michigan October. There has already been a frost warning; the growing season here is short. It’s CSA 2022 week 26, and the tomatoes are still coming! Our farmers at Beaverland Farms may be magicians – or maybe they have a greenhouse. There is a new surprise this week: wine cap (stropharia) mushrooms! We won’t wait; those will be eaten right away.
Our box contains the first of the hard-shelled winter squash this week, also. I love the dainty size, as I’m the only one in the household with a fondness for squash. The goodies in the box are:
- green onions
- yellow tomatoes
- mixed lettuce
- Napa cabbage
- wine cap (stropharia) mushrooms
- one delicate little winter squash
I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. CSA 2022 week 26 is going to be a great week in the kitchen. Here’s what I’m thinking:
- a splendid quiche with those wine cap mushrooms (and shallots, bacon, & cheese)
- side salad to go with the quiche, using carrots, radishes, and some of those tomatoes
- or maybe a mushroom tart
- quick-pickled cabbage Japanese style
- roasted squash with maple drizzle (all for me!)
- chicken roasted with fennel and green onions (and then spiked with lemon)
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.