Typical Michigan October weather: quite chilly, and quite warm, sometimes in the same day . Our box from Beaverland Farms shows this also: we have tomatoes and lettuce mix, but also beets and potatoes. CSA 2022 week 25 brings us roots, leaves, and berries, too: there’s a little box of raspberries!
There is also a little box of cucamelons – those are the little things that look like tiny watermelons. They actually taste like lemony cucumbers, and are native to Mexico and Central America. They’re sometimes used in salsas, but I’m planning to pickle mine.
This week’s box contains:
- 2 tomatoes
- mixed lettuce
- green onions
- 3 little eggplants
- young ginger
- and a little box of cucamelons
I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. CSA 2022 week 25 has me planning for hot and cool and dry and wet weather: Michigan autumn keeps us guessing.
- eggplant, potato, and tomato tian
- miso-glazed eggplant
- baked tomatoes stuffed with rice & cheese from Smitten Kitchen
- lemony chicken with potatoes & oregano from the NY Times
- rosemary-roasted beets
- Francis Lam’s ginger scallion sauce
- maybe Greek salads with the tomatoes and beets, if it’s warm?
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.