CSA 2022 week 2 brings us another fine box from Beaverland Farms in Detroit, MI. While it was snowing just a few days ago, today the weather forecast is for sunshine and temperatures in the high 70s! Michigan’s springtime is full of extremes. I’m expecting the weather this coming week to be hot, cold, wet, and dry – sometimes all in the same day.
The CSA 2022 week 2 box brings us:
- pea shoots
- sweet potatoes
- 2 tiny heads of Romaine lettuce
- locally fermented tempeh
Clearly some of these veggies are winter-grown, and either stored or harvested in spring. Others are planted in the farmers’ greenhouse in late winter and are just ready now. Either way, I’m happy!
While I was washing and trimming the veggies, here’s what I’ve thought about cooking:
- spinach salad with sesame dressing (goma ae)
- new Joe’s special (a scramble of eggs with ground beef, garlic, onions, and spinach)
- fattoush salad
- meatball and orzo soup with spinach
- barley with sautéed leeks, peas, & parsley
- marinated and baked tempeh
- springtime miso soup with soba noodles and pea shoots
- potato and leek gratin (it’s sure to be cold again in a few days!)
Follow the season with me: I’ll show off my CSA box each week, and then spin ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.