In SE Michigan, we’ve settled into summer weather, which alternates between being wonderfully warm and pleasant, and scorchingly hot and humid. Our farmers at Beaverland Farms work with the weather to bring us more great produce. CSA 2022 week 13 brings us more beets and fennel, and adds pattypan squash, cucumbers, and basil.
Personally, I haven’t quite warmed up to fennel. There’s such a lot of the plant inside the box! From the root to the tip of the fronds, it must be 3 feet. The beets aren’t quite so verdant; there are only about twelve inches of greens above those adorable baby beets. I’m excited about the basil.
This week’s box contains wonderful stuff:
- mixed lettuces (so needed for summer salads)
- a dozen baby red beets
- yellow pattypan squash (so much like a flying saucer)
- more of those lovely black raspberries
As usual, I think about how I might use all this good stuff while I’m washing and trimming it. Here are some of my ideas for this CSA 2022 week 13 box:
- a big Greek salad, with some of the beets (this never gets old)
- beet salad with feta & walnuts
- stuffed pattypan squash
- quick-pickled cabbage strips
- egg roll bowls
- beet and corn salad
- beet, orange, and feta salad with mint
- cucumber and tomato salad
- cabbage sautéed with bacon (you can’t have only salads!)
Follow the season with me, and I’ll show off my CSA box of the week, including ideas of how I might use all the good stuff. Feel free to chime in with comments or questions.